Former PSU coach charged with sex crimes; AD charged with perjury

Former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky was charged with numerous felony and misdemeanor offenses as the result of a grand jury investigation into sexual abuse of children, while the school's athletic director was charged with perjury.

The Pennsylvania attorney general's office said in a press release Saturday that Sandusky was charged with 40 counts of various sexual crimes and taken into custody in Centre County.

Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and Gary Schultz, who oversaw Penn State's police department, were both charged with perjury and failure to report under the Child Protective Services Law.

According to the attorney general's release, they took little action when confronted with Sandusky's alleged actions and lied about their knowledge of them. Curley and Schultz are scheduled to surrender to authorities Monday.

The charges against Sandusky -- a longtime defensive assistant under Joe Paterno who helped Penn State gain a reputation as "Linebacker U" -- include involuntary deviate sexual intercourse; aggravated indecent assault; unlawful contact with a minor; and endangering the welfare of a child.

Some of the charges are felonies and some are misdemeanors, and attorney general Linda Kelly said the case originally focused on the claims of a young boy who reported Sandusky had indecently assaulted him and engaged in various sex acts while the boy was a guest at Sandusky's home.

According to the release, Kelly said the alleged victim encountered Sandusky through The Second Mile program when he was 11 or 12 years old. The Second Mile is a charitable organization founded by Sandusky that operates programs for young people.

But the attorney general's release said the grand jury found that eight young men were the targets of sexual advances or assaults by Sandusky, starting in 1994 and continuing through 2009.

In 2009, Sandusky was barred from the school district where the boy attended high school, after they were discovered lying face-to-face in a secluded weight room. The action came after the boy's mother reported the allegations to the school.

However, that was seven years after Penn State officials received an eyewitness report of an alleged sexual assault by Sandusky. According to the release, a graduate assistant allegedly saw Sandusky sexually assaulting a young boy in the showers of Penn State's football building.

The release said the assistant reported the incident with Paterno and later met with Curley and Schultz, but the alleged incident was not reported to law enforcement.

During his grand jury testimony, Schultz admitted he was aware of a 1998 investigation into allegations of sexually inappropriate behavior by Sandusky, who retired from his coaching position in 1999. However, school officials did not take action.

"The failure of top university officials to act on reports of Sandusky's alleged sexual misconduct, even after it was reported to them in graphic detail by an eyewitness, allowed a predator to walk free for years -- continuing to target new victims," Kelly said. "Equally disturbing is the lack of action and apparent lack of concern among those same officials, and others who received information about this case, who either avoided asking difficult questions or chose to look the other way."

The release said Curley repeatedly denied he had been told of Sandusky's alleged sexual misconduct.