College basketball player likely died from inhaling chewing gum in sleep

An NCAA Division III basketball player likely inhaled chewing gum into her lungs while sleeping before being found dead in her dorm room over the weekend.

California University of Pennsylvania student Shanice Clark was found unresponsive at about 3 a.m. Sunday, Washington County coroner's office said.

University officials said they were "deeply saddened" by the death of the 6-foot senior forward, who was redshirting after playing two dozen games for the Vulcans last season.

California borough police say a preliminary report from medical personnel indicated that the death appeared to be accidental.

Although the coroner didn't immediately release the results, police say medical personnel indicated Clark aspirated the chewing gum while sleeping.

Clark, a 21-year-old Toronto native, appeared in 24 games as a reserve player in the Vulcans' 2013-14 season. Clark posted 2.9 points and 2.6 rebounds per game that year.

The Associated Press contributed to this report