No other president in the history of the United States has abused the power of the White House more than President Barack Obama, at least according to Ted Cruz.
The Texas Republican senator, in a new report, outlined 76 times Obama has bypassed Congress and federal law to enact his own policies.
"Of all the troubling aspects of the Obama presidency, none is more dangerous than the president's persistent pattern of lawlessness, his willingness to disregard the written law and instead enforce his own policies via executive fiat," Cruz wrote in the opening of his report entitled "The Legal Limit Report No. 4."
The 12-page document lays out the administration's alleged "abuse of power" and executive overreaches – the examples include disregarding marriage, immigration, welfare, and drug laws. Cruz also said the president has bypassed Congress to extend federal marriage benefits to same-sex couples, to issue a new immigration policy that allows relatives of military troops and veterans to stay in the country legally to issuing exemptions, waivers and delays with the implementation of Obamacare.
“Rule of law means that we are a nation ruled by laws, not men. No one — and especially not the president — is above the law. For that reason, the U.S. Constitution imposes on every president the express duty to ‘take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed.’ Rather than honor this duty, President Obama has openly defied it by repeatedly suspending, delaying, and waiving portions of the laws that he is charged to enforce,” Cruz wrote.
Cruz noted in his report that Democrats should consider the precedence set by the Obama administration and what would happen if a Republican president decided to bypass Congress and federal law to enact his or her own policies.
"For all those who are silent now: What would they think of a Republican president who announced that he was going to ignore the law, or unilaterally change the law?" Cruz wrote. "Imagine a future president setting aside environmental laws, or tax laws, or labor laws, or tort laws, with which he or she disagreed. That would be wrong."
Below are some of the other alleged examples of Obama's "lawlessness" in Cruz's opinion.
1. Implemented portions of the DREAM Act, which Congress rejected, by executive action.
2. Continued to give Egypt aid after the military took over its government, even though, Cruz said, federal law prohibits aid to Egypt in the event of a coup.
3. Falsely portrayed the Benghazi terrorist attack as a spontaneous protest against an anti-Muslim YouTube video, Cruz said, and then lied about the White House's involvement.
4. Extended the deadline to enroll in Obamacare.
5. Had meetings with lobbyists in coffee shops near the White House to avoid disclosure requirements.
6. Illegally sold thousands of guns to criminals, in the operation known as Fast and Furious, and then refused to comply with congressional subpoenas about the operation.