Student who died at frat house accidentally overdosed on opioids after drinking 'poppy tea'

After the death of a Virginia college student in February, police have now confirmed the cause of death was an accidental opioid overdose.

More on this...

Steven Austin Underhill, 21, was a junior at James Madison University when he died at his fraternity house, WHSV reported. The Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI) member had a high dosage of opioids in his system that came from poppy tea, which is made from commonly available household products, including poppy seeds, according to the newly released toxicology report.

The tea can produce a euphoric state.

After the engineering major’s death, the Harrisonburg Police Department warned the public about the dangers of poppy tea.