Sexpert Q&A: How Hickies Happen

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Dear Yvonne, What happens to make you get a hickey? -Julia

Dear Julia, When a lover sucks or bites on an area of your body, the bruise that forms is called a hickey. This is caused by blood vessels breaking under the skin. The size and color of a hickey is determined by how long and how strongly your partner feasted on you.

Dr. Yvonne KristAn Fulbright is a sex educator, relationship expert, columnist and founder of

Sexuality Source Inc.

She is the author of several books including, "Touch Me There! A Hands-On Guide to Your Orgasmic Hot Spots."