Labor Day Grilling: Spanish Grilled Shrimp over Asparagus
Asparagus is loaded with nutrients such as fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K. It’s also packed with antioxidants, ranking among the top fruits and vegetables for its ability to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals.
For all you ladies, this, according to preliminary research, may help slow the aging process.
Paired with shrimp, a low-fat/low-calorie protein and you’ve got a perfect match.
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 pound asparagus spears
1. In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt and black pepper.
2. Add the shrimp and stir to coat the shrimp thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
3. While shrimp is marinating, prepare asparagus. First by trimming the ends.
4. Brush spears with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Repeat on the other side.
5. Preheat grill on medium. Skewer shrimp and pineapple.
6. Grill skewered shrimp and asparagus for about 5-10 minutes. Turning mid-way. Asparagus should be charred and fork tender.
7. Plate and enjoy this Labor Day Weekend!
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez.
Follow us on twitter.com/foxnewslatino
Like us at facebook.com/foxnewslatino