A gluten-free diet is the only medically accepted treatment for celiac disease which is an autoimmune disorder causing chronic stomach pains, fatigue, and ultimately damages the lining of the small intestine. This gluten-free recipe allows you to enjoy muffins that taste just as delicious as those containing wheat and without the after effects.
• 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
• ½ cup sugar
• ¼ ounce package active dry yeast
• 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon all spice (optional)
• ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ cup lukewarm water
• 6 tablespoons melted butter, unsalted
• ¼ cup pureed mango
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Passion Fruit Glaze Ingredients
• 3 tablespoons passion fruit juice
• ½ tablespoon melted butter, unsalted
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
• In a large bowl, mix the first eight ingredients.
• In a smaller bowl, whisk water, melted butter, vanilla extract and pureed mango until well blended.
• Add mango mixture to dry ingredients and whisk until well-blended. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Grease muffin pan with baking spray. Using an ice cream scooper fill each cup about half way.
• Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown.
• While cupcakes are baking, prepare the glaze by whisking the ingredients until smooth.
• Tip: Easy to adjust—if too watery, add powdered sugar ¼ cup at a time. If too stiff, add passion fruit just 1 teaspoon at a time.
• Let muffins cool for a few minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
• Drizzle glaze over muffins and enjoy.
Yields 12 muffins.