These sushi rolls are full of veggies and high-protein crabmeat which is also low in calorie and free of carbs. A healthy option if consumed in moderation.
• 2 cups sushi rice
• 2 cups water + water for rinsing
• 2 tablespoons black bean garlic sauce
• 1 cup shredded carrots
• 2 cups shredded cabbage
• 1 teaspoon sugar + 1 tablespoon
• 1 cup lump crab meat
• 4 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
• 3 roasted seaweed sheets
• 1 avocado, thinly sliced
• 1 mango, thinly sliced
• Chopped scallions
• Chipotle mustard, optional
• Pickled ginger, optional
• Soy sauce, optional
1. Rinse rice in cold water until water is almost clear.
2. Place the rice and 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, uncovered. Once it has come up to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
3. Transfer rice to a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, mix vinegar, salt and 1 teaspoon sugar. Add vinegar mixture to rice two tablespoons at a time and fold over rice until well-combined. Let rice cool completely.
4. In a large skillet, heat black bean garlic sauce and add carrots, cabbage and sugar. Cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat.
5. Fold in lump crab meat. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
a. Tip: to save time, prepare crab meat mixture while rice is cooking.
6. To prepare sushi rolls, wrap bamboo mat with plastic wrap and place over cutting board.
7. Add about 1/3 of the cooked rice onto the mat and spread using the tips of dampened fingers. (Keep a water bowl within arm’s reach)
8. Place seaweed sheet over rice. Add 3 slices each avocado and mango.
9. Spread over about 1 ½ tablespoons crabmeat mixture.
10. Roll up from bottom using mat to assist. Repeat to make three rolls in total.
11. With a sharp knife, cut rolls into 6 pieces (these are quite large so we cut into 8 pieces).
a. Tip: Dip knife in water and wipe clean with towel between each cut.
12. Serve with chipotle spicy mustard, pickled ginger and top with chopped scallions.
Makes 18-24 pieces.