- Image 1 of 2
- Image 2 of 2
The next "Pirates of the Caribbean" sequel has been temporarily docked.
The release date for the fifth installment in the film series starring Johnny Depp has been removed from Disney's distribution schedule. It was originally scheduled to launch July 10, 2015.
Disney previously announced that the fifth "Pirates" film will be directed by "Kon-Tiki" filmmakers Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg and was expected to begin production next year.
The move comes after Disney's "The Lone Ranger" failed at the box office this summer and the studio moved the debut of Marvel's "Ant-Man" from Nov. 6, 2015, to July 31, 2015.
Producer Jerry Bruckheimer admitted to The Hollywood Reporter that “everybody’s more cautious” after "The Lone Ranger's" flop, but he said it was primarily script issues that caused the film's delay.
“We have an outline everyone loves but the script is not done,” he told the site. "We want a script that everyone’s signed off on and a budget that everyone’s signed off on.”
The most recent "Pirates" installments, "At World's End" and "On Stranger Tides," were both released in time for Memorial Day weekend in 2007 and 2011.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.