Updated

Britney Spears' ex Kevin Federline is desperate to escape from living in the shadow of the famous pop star and forge a successful acting career once he finishes filming a reality TV weight-loss program in Australia.

During an online chat Tuesday with his fans on the PerthNow website, the former backup dancer known as K-Fed said he and Spears "have come a long way" since their split in 2006.

"We get along really well and do everything we have to do to make sure our kids [Sean and Jayden] are raised right," he said.

But the 33-year-old, who was born in Fresno, Calif., said he was definitely not a huge fan of being constantly referred to as "the ex Mr. Britney Spears."

"I don't hate it, but I don't like living in that shadow," he said.

"I've accepted that being married to her will always be part of my life but [I] would love for people to admire me for myself."

When asked about his future plans, Federline, who has released a rap album and appeared on TV shows and in movies, said he was determined to lose weight, get back to fitness and pursue his fledgling acting career.

"Hopefully [I can] be really healthy and get back into some [scripted] TV work ... acting work," he said.

"I would love to do comedy, sitcoms," he added.

Federline, who recently weighed in at 231 pounds (105kg), also reassured fans that a recent health scare while filming the Australian reality show "Excess Baggage" had not put him off completing his weight-loss goals.

"No, if anything it makes me wanna push myself to get healthier in the future so I don't have to worry about that again," he said.

Federline was taken to a Sydney hospital last week after he collapsed with chest pains during a training session with an Australian Rules football team -- but was later released after being cleared by a cardiologist.

It was the second time he has been hospitalized during the filming of the show, after being treated for heat stress during a stint in Western Australia in December.