Everyone loves a good bargain on home goods, but customers are naturally livid over reports that IKEA’s glass tables are spontaneously shattering.
The latest incident was reported by an Indiana woman, who says she overheard a "big boom" from her teenage son's bedroom and discovered that his glass-top "Glasholm" IKEA desk shattered on its own, RTV6 reports.
"I was cooking dinner, when I heard a big sound like a big boom, and my first thought was a tree had fallen into the house, that's how loud it was," Holly Burns said.
With her son away at school, Burns is simply thankful no one was hurt. "We were just fortunate no one was around,” she said.
As IKEA investigates this incident, the Consumer Product Safety Commission features dozens of similar complaints regarding the self-implosion of various IKEA glass furniture products, including the company's Granås glass tabletop that "exploded without warning" and sent glass "everywhere," and another glass-topped desk that exploded in what "sounded like a shotgun blast."
In July 2017, the Swedish-founded furniture superstore also came under fire when a mother from Wales reported that her Salmi glass IKEA table exploded near her 1-year-old baby.
This isn't an entirely new phenomena, either. A carpenter and YouTuber named Andy Lawson claims to have experienced a similar issue with his dinner table, which "exploded during dinner" in 2013. (WARNING: Video contains explicit language.)
As of press time, IKEA has not issued any recalls in the wake of Burns’ incident. Further, the world's largest furniture retailer responded to Fox News' request for comment with the following statement:
“IKEA products are safe and our routines for quality and safety are comprehensive, but defects may still occur. If tempered glass shatters, it is often due to some kind of outside damage that has occurred after the production; like transport, handling or normal wear in the household," a company spokesperson said. "It is the big difference between the compression in the surface and the tensions in the center of the glass that can make tempered glass break immediately, or at a later occasion."
"With all this, we still constantly strive to improve. We have also designed the packaging for securing a good protection of the glass during transportation all the way home to the customer. Additionally, in our stores, we have clear customer information on signs and there are care instructions in the packages," they added.