Truck driver at fault in Las Vegas driverless shuttle crash, say police

The driver of a semi-truck was apparently at fault in an accident Wednesday afternoon involving a driverless shuttle bus operating in Las Vegas, police say.

The autonomous vehicle had been put into operation in the Freemont East area of the city less than two hours before the incident, which was widely reported due to the high profile of the event.

The truck was backing into a driveway when one of its tires hit the shuttle, causing no significant damage or injuries. The driver was cited for illegal backing.

Patrons wait to board a driverless shuttle bus on a street in Las Vegas, Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2017. Earlier Wednesday one of the buses was involved in a collision less than two hours after the service was launched. Police say no injuries were reported in the Wednesday crash between the self-operating vehicle and a semi-truck. It's not yet clear what caused the wreck. (AP Photo/Regina Garcia Cano)

The shuttle was designed by Navya, a French company specializing in autonomous vehicles  (AP)

"The shuttle did what it was supposed to do, in that it's (sic) sensors registered the truck and the shuttle stopped to avoid the accident," the city said in a statement. "Unfortunately the delivery truck did not stop and grazed the front fender of the shuttle. Had the truck had the same sensing equipment that the shuttle has the accident would have been avoided."

The oval-shaped shuttle that can transport up to 12 people has an attendant and computer monitor, but no steering wheel and no brake pedals. It uses GPS, electronic curb sensors and other technology to make its way. It was developed by the French company Navya and was tested in January in Las Vegas.

At the unveiling ceremony, officials promoted it as the nation's first self-driving shuttle pilot project geared toward the public.

Before it crashed, dozens of people had lined up to get a free trip on a 0.6-mile loop in downtown Las Vegas. City spokesman Jace Radke said the shuttle took two more loops after the crash.

NASCAR driver Danica Patrick and magic duo Penn and Teller were among the first passengers.

The transportation company Keolis is operating the shuttle. Its vice president of mobility solutions, Maurice Bell, said the bus will scoot through Las Vegas at no more than 15 mph. AAA Northern California, Nevada and Utah, which is sponsoring the one-year pilot project, expects that 250,000 people will use the shuttle.

Las Vegas resident Stacey Gray and her dog Socrates were among the first to board the bus Wednesday. She said the drive was so smooth that she couldn't even tell she was in a car, but approaching the intersection made her a little nervous.

"A little bit of that looking around and you know wondering if it was going to stop, and 'Oh my gosh, there's a car behind us, kind of little hesitation,'" she said. "But it stopped and it was fine."

The Associated Press contributed to this report