TUNIS, Tunisia – Tunisia's Interior Ministry says one militant was killed and 13 others arrested in a late-night operation that foiled a planned attack.
Friday's statement said the National Guard acted on specific intelligence to target three houses in the Sejnane region of the northern province of Bizerte, 60 kilometers (35 miles) from the capital of Tunis.
It said one of the men opened fire on the guard unit and was killed. Local media identified him as a member of the banned Ansar al-Shariah movement, which later pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group.
Tunisia has been repeatedly targeted by attacks, most recently last month when a young Tunisian gunman opened fire on tourists in the beach resort town of Sousse, killing 37.
Parliament is currently voting on a new anti-terror law.