- Image 1 of 3
- Image 2 of 3
- Image 3 of 3
AMATRICE, Italy – The Latest on the earthquake in Italy (all times local):
Romania's foreign ministry says six Romanians have died and 17 Romanians are still missing in the Italian earthquake.
Updating earlier figures, the ministry said Friday that five Romanians were receiving treatment in local hospitals for non-life threatening injuries.
There are an estimated 8,000 Romanians living in the area where the quake struck.
Strong aftershocks rattled residents and rescue crews alike Friday as hopes began to dim that firefighters would find any more survivors from Italy's earthquake. The first funerals were scheduled for some of the 267 dead.
Some of hard-hit Amatrice's crumbled buildings suffered more cracks after the biggest aftershock of the morning struck at 6:28 a.m. The U.S. Geological Service said it had a magnitude of 4.7, while the Italian geophysics institute measured it at 4.8.
Rescue efforts continued through the night and into Friday, but more than a day and a half had passed since the last person was known to be extracted alive from the rubble. While Premier Matteo Renzi hailed the fact that 215 people had been rescued since the quake, civil protection officials reported only a steadily rising death toll that stood early Friday at 267.