BRAZZAVILLE, Republic of Congo – A local official says six people were injured in Republic of Congo's second largest city in clashes between police and opponents of a planned referendum that could make the president eligible for another term.
Alexandre Honore Paka, an administrator of Pointe-Noire, said in a statement that the six young men injured in Saturday's violence in the city are receiving treatment and "doing well." His statement conflicted with reports from opposition leader Andre Okombi Salissa who said that 13 people had been hospitalized.
Republic of Congo is set to hold a referendum on Oct. 25 on revising constitutional term and age limits that currently bar President Denis Sassou N'Guesso from seeking re-election next year.
Opposition leaders have urged their supporters to try to prevent the referendum.