Libyan PM Says Disarming Rebels Could Take Months
TRIPOLI, Libya -- Libya's new prime minister says it will take months to disarm former Libyan rebels and says weapons will not be collected by force.
The proliferation of armed ex-rebel militias in Libya has raised concerns about instability. Libya's new leaders initially said weapons would be collected soon after the fall of Muammar Qaddafi's regime. Libya declared the fall of the regime last month.
However, incoming Prime Minister Abdurrahim el-Keib told France24 radio Friday that disarming rebels "is going to take some time" and that "we will not force people to take quick and hasty decisions."
He says his government, in charge during an eight-month transition, would only disarm fighters once they can be offered alternatives, including jobs. He says he hopes this could be done before the end of the transition.