Israeli leader criticized for money transfer to Gaza

Israel's prime minister on Sunday defended his decision to allow the transfer of $15 million from Qatar to Gaza's Hamas rulers, rejecting criticism that the move had strengthened the Islamic militant group.

Benjamin Netanyahu told reporters that it was "the right step" at the moment, and that he was committed to restoring quiet along the Israel-Gaza frontier and preventing a humanitarian crisis in the coastal Palestinian territory.

"Every action, without exception, has a price," he said. "If you can't handle the price you cannot lead. And I can handle the price."

Israeli critics, including members of his hard-line coalition, accused Netanyahu of capitulating to violence and of granting relief to the embattled Hamas group.

The internationally backed Palestinian president, whose forces lost control of Gaza to Hamas in 2007, angrily accused the U.S. and Israel of being involved in a "conspiracy" to permanently sever Gaza from the West Bank. He promised to take unspecified measures against his Hamas rivals in the coming days.

Hamas leaders in Gaza have described the arrival of the $15 million, delivered last week in three suitcases by a Qatari diplomat, as their first major gain of more than seven months of weekly protests along the perimeter fence.

Hamas has been leading the protests since March 30 in a bid to ease a crippling Israeli-Egyptian blockade that was imposed in 2007 in order to weaken the militant group. The blockade has led to over 50 percent unemployment and chronic power outages, and prevents most Gazans from being able to leave the tiny territory.

Over 160 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire in the border protests, in which Palestinians throw rocks, burning tires and grenades toward Israeli troops.

Israel says it is defending its border against militant infiltrations, but its army has come under international criticism because of the large number of unarmed protesters who have been shot.

With Hamas threatening to intensify the protests and international officials warning of a looming humanitarian crisis, Netanyahu on Thursday allowed the cash into Gaza. It is the first installment of $90 million that Qatar has pledged to cover the salaries of thousands of unpaid Hamas employees for six months.

Israeli opposition figures lambasted Netanyahu for appearing to cave in to violence. Army Radio played decade-old sound clips of Netanyahu, from when he was the opposition leader, threatening tough action against Hamas and criticizing his predecessor for being too soft.

Even his erstwhile allies attacked him for indirectly doing business with a militant group that has fought three wars against Israel and is sworn to Israel's destruction.

"Everyone knows where that money is going to go ultimately," said Netanyahu's agriculture minister, Uri Ariel.

But in comments to reporters before traveling to Paris, Netanyahu said it was a "question of alternatives." He said the step was coordinated with security officials to restore quiet for Israeli citizens living near the Gaza border and to avert a humanitarian crisis.

The payment is part of what is expected to be a set of informal understandings between Israel and Hamas reached through Egyptian and U.N. mediation.

Hamas is demanding an expansion of the permissible fishing zone off the Israeli-controlled Gaza coast, uninterrupted flow of fuel to mitigate chronic power shortages and the lifting of Israeli restrictions on exports and imports. In return, Israel wants quiet and an end to the border protests.

For the second week in a row, the Palestinians kept Friday's protests carefully restrained, burning fewer tires and refraining from breaching the fence.

In the West Bank, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas angrily accused Israel and the U.S. of ganging up behind his back to entrench Hamas' control over Gaza. He also accused Hamas of undermining his goal of establishing an independent Palestinian state that includes all of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

Abbas fears that the U.S. is preparing to float a peace plan, called the "Deal of the Century" by President Donald Trump, that would leave Hamas in control of Gaza and give him only limited autonomy in pieces of the West Bank.

"We are going to take tough measures (against Hamas) in the coming days," Abbas said.

"There is an American conspiracy, which is the 'Deal of the Century,' and there is an Israeli conspiracy to implement the 'Deal of the Century,'" he said. "To my dismay, there is another conspiracy from Hamas to foil the independent state."

Abbas, speaking at a ceremony marking the 14th anniversary of the death of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, did not elaborate on what steps he might take against Hamas.

Abbas has repeatedly limited financial aid to Gaza in order to pressure Hamas into returning control to him.

In the West Bank, meanwhile, hundreds of Palestinians attended the funeral of Mohammed Shreteh, a 27-year-old Palestinian who died of head wounds after being shot in clashes with Israeli troops two weeks ago.

___

Daraghmeh reported from Ramallah, West Bank.