Grieving dad asks public to forgive mom who rolled over, killed baby
The father of a baby girl who died after her mother allegedly rolled over onto her while high on drugs is asking the public to forgive her.
Seven-month-old Olaia Marie Mejia died on Friday morning, five days after she was found unconscious at her mother's Ventnor, New Jersey home on Jan. 3.
On a Facebook post this week, Mejia called on friends, family and the world to forgive the child's 31-year-old mother, Lisa Scalia.
"Please everyone remember that Lisa Marie loved Olaia Marie ... she definitely made the biggest mistake anyone can make but I refuse to believe she did this horrible act on purpose... no one is in more pain than me except probably her... if I can forgive her I know everyone can forgive her... Please pray for her as well.. Thank you everyone for all the love," Mejia wrote on his Facebook wall.
Scalia remains jailed on $100,000 cash bail. She initially was charged with child endangerment and drug possession, but could face more serious charges following her daughter's death.
- Sister of Sandra Bland says charges against Texas state trooper are ‘bittersweet’
- Execution date set for Florida serial killer who married his paralegal
- Welcome 2016! People around the world celebrate the New Year
- Infant mauled to death by rats in Mexico as teen mom is out dancing at party
- Spain detains U.S. couple after decomposed body of child found in home
- Venezuela’s socialists angered over ban on Chávez images in congressional building
Authorities have said Scalia had 34 bags of heroin and 10 oxycodone pills.
"If the good die young you were the best of us all," Mejia said on Facebook. "My darling my angel the brightest star of them all..I love n miss you so much mi nina hermosa."
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter & Instagram