BERLIN – A German court has rejected calls to remove judges presiding over the trial of a former SS medic who served at the Auschwitz death camp.
Neubrandenburg state court spokesman Christian Deutsch said Friday the complaints alleging bias, filed by prosecutors and attorneys representing Auschwitz victims and their families, had been rejected. He says the court found no grounds to question the impartiality of the judges.
The trial of Hubert Zafke has been repeatedly postponed after judges ruled the 95-year-old was unfit. It finally started in September , but because of the gap between sessions, due to the bias complaints, it will have to be restarted.
Zafke is charged with 3,681 counts of accessory to murder for allegedly helping the Nazi camp function. His attorney says he did nothing criminal.