Everton denied on Martinez's home debut

Roberto Martinez's home debut in charge of Everton proved a frustrating experience as the Toffees were held to a goalless draw by West Bromwich Albion at Goodison Park on Saturday.

Marouane Fellaini came closest to scoring when his late effort came back off the post, while a Seamus Coleman cross also struck the woodwork as Everton were forced to settle for a second consecutive draw.

West Brom will be the happier of the two sides with the point, as they enjoyed fewer openings but still held on for a result that sees them open their account after last weekend's 1-0 home reverse at the hands of Southampton.

Visiting manager Steve Clarke brought Swedish striker Marcus Rosenberg into his starting line-up to replace Frenchman Nicolas Anelka, who was missing after being given compassionate leave following the death of his agent.

Everton, meanwhile, were unchanged from the side that drew 2-2 at Norwich City on the opening day.

They lacked a killer instinct this time, though, and older fans must have wished that legendary striker Dave Hickson, who was remembered by the Goodison crowd after passing away in July at the age of 83, could have been present to unlock the Albion rearguard.

Belgian international Kevin Mirallas came up with the best chance of the first period when his shot was tipped over by Foster, while a James Morrison half-volley that rose over Tim Howard's bar was as close as the Baggies came to scoring.

West Brom have won just once at Goodison in 34 years and they rarely looked like improving that record this time, even if Howard had to save well from a Shane Long snapshot in the second half.

Playing in front of watching England boss Roy Hodgson, Foster had to save well from Mirallas again after the hour mark, but West Brom were left hanging on when their goalkeeper was forced off injured in the 78th minute, with Luke Daniels coming on for his Premier League debut in his place.

Everton cranked up the pressure, and Fellaini took down a long Phil Jagielka ball in the box before stabbing it past Daniels. However, his effort rebounded to safety off the post.

Daniels then saved from Coleman after the Irishman had cut in from the right and tried to beat him at his near post, and the same player then saw his cross come back off the bar in stoppage time with the 'keeper beaten.