Dominican Republic to probe possible cholera outbreak

Health officials are investigating what could be a new cholera outbreak in the northern Dominican Republic, where one woman died and more than 200 people have sought medical attention.

Health Minister Bautista Rojas says only six of the more than 200 cases have been confirmed as cholera, including that of a 64-year-old woman who died on Wednesday. He says the remaining patients exhibit cholera symptoms but are awaiting confirmation through lab tests.

The outbreak occurred in the northern town of Tamboril, where heavy rains damaged water and sewer pipes earlier this month.

Bautista said the outbreak is under control, and government officials said they are disinfecting potable water with the maximum amount of chlorine allowed.

The first outbreak occurred in 2010 with more than 22,500 cases and 163 deaths reported.