Costa Rican Officials Say 13 Children Hospitalized After Swallowing Lead Ball in Chip Bags

Costa Rican health officials say 13 children had to be hospitalized after swallowing a lead ball that was part of a toy that a food company included inside bags of corn chips. The children thought it was candy.

Authorities say only one of the children remains in the hospital from eating a lead ball. The ball was used to balance the toy.

The Demasa company announced Thursday that is recalling the corn chips and taking unsold bags from store shelves.

The company is a subsidiary of the Mexico-based food company Gruma SAB.