KINSHASA, Congo – Authorities in Congo say dozens of people are missing and feared dead after a boat sank on the Congo River.
Hubert Moliso, a minister in the northern Orientale province, said Tuesday that the passengers were sleeping when the accident took place near the town of Lombolombo.
At least 100 people survived and four deaths had been confirmed. Moliso said the boat did not have a passenger manifest so it may never be known how many people died.
Witnesses, though, said they believed more than 200 people were aboard along with tons of merchandise.
The accident comes less than two weeks after a boat sank on Lake Tanganyika in Katanga province that left at least 130 dead, according to local authorities.