BEIJING – A Chinese state broadcaster says authorities have confirmed that 12 out of 454 people on board a cruise ship that capsized earlier this month survived, down by two people from the previously reported number of 14 survivors.
China Central Television did not explain why the number of survivors from China's deadliest boat disaster in decades had been revised in its Saturday evening report.
It said each of the 454 people aboard East Star has been accounted for. There were 403 tourists, five tourism agency workers and 46 crew members on board when the boat capsized June 1 during a cruise on the Yangtze River.
Authorities have attributed the sinking to a freak storm that generated tornado-like winds, but also have launched an investigation.