OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso – Security officials in Burkina Faso say they have foiled another coup plot in this West African nation and blame it on former presidential guards.
Security Minister Simon Compaore said Friday at least 10 people have been arrested, while the top suspect remains on the run.
Authorities say the attempt was planned by forces loyal to the former longtime president who was forced to resign two years ago in a popular uprising.
The 1,300-member presidential guard was dismantled last year after they tried to overthrow the transitional government that was installed after President Blaise Compaore fled the country.
The security ministry says the latest attempt had been planned for Oct. 9 but was foiled when two former guards were killed trying to enter the capital.