- Image 1 of 3
- Image 2 of 3
- Image 3 of 3
ABUJA, Nigeria – Nigeria's president says that he will meet Sunday with 82 Chibok schoolgirls freed this weekend after being kidnapped three years ago by Boko Haram.
President Muhammadu Buhari said in a statement that he will receive the released schoolgirls in Nigeria's capital, Abuja.
The president said the schoolgirls were freed in exchange for detained suspected extremists in the largest negotiated release of the nearly 300 girls whose mass abduction in 2014 highlighted the threat of Nigeria's homegrown extremist fighters linked to the Islamic State group.
Before Saturday's release, 195 of the girls had been captive. Now 113 of the girls remain unaccounted for.
As news of the latest release broke, long-suffering family members said they are eagerly awaiting a list of names and their hopes and expectations are high.