The Latest: Police didn't fire quickly at shooting suspect

The Latest on a standoff that ended with a suspect dead and two officers wounded (all times local):

6:07 p.m.

Maryland state police say they did not fire immediately at a man who shot and wounded two state troopers during a lengthy standoff over a domestic violence call.

Police said William Charles Mackenzie fired multiple shots from a bedroom window at about 7:30 a.m. Friday, hitting two troopers who were near the perimeter. Police said they did not return fire at that point.

Police said that about an hour later, Mackenzie came out of his burning house, pointed a gun toward police and ignored commands to drop the weapon. That's when police say they fired at Mackenzie. He was wounded and later pronounced dead at a hospital.

The two troopers were treated for gunshot wounds to their legs and released.


3:20 p.m.

Court records show a man killed by Maryland state troopers after a standoff Friday was charged with making illegal drugs and had been in danger of losing his home in Baltimore.

William Charles Mackenzie's wife told police that he pulled out a handgun while they argued Thursday night and told her "this ends today." She said they struggled over the gun, which fired without hitting either of them before she escaped and called for help. Police surrounded the house, but he refused to surrender. They fatally shot him after he hit two troopers in the legs.

Court records show Mackenzie was charged in 2014 with manufacture of a controlled dangerous substance, conspiracy to manufacture and marijuana possession. Those charges were put on hold with no verdict entered.

His home was in foreclosure at one point, though state records still list him as the owner.

And he once accused his wife, Linda Mackenzie, of stealing money from him, but prosecutors declined to pursue that case.


1:15 p.m.

Maryland State Police now say that the man troopers fatally shot after a lengthy standoff in western Maryland was 66 years old, not 52.

They say William Charles Mackenzie was declared dead Friday morning at the Washington County Medical Center.

The two state troopers who were shot in their legs have been released from a trauma center in Baltimore.

A state police statement says the case remains under investigation and will be sent to prosecutors in Allegany County for review.


12:30 p.m.

Maryland State Police say a standoff that ended this morning with a suspect dead and two troopers wounded began with a domestic violence call just before midnight.

Officers say the man's wife told police that they were arguing when her husband pulled out a gun and said "this ends today." She said they struggled and fell and the gun went off before she escaped to a neighbor's house to call for help.

The police statement says troopers established a perimeter around the house in Little Orleans, Allegany County. Police said he refused to surrender and said he was not coming out.

As a Special Tactical Assault Team Element began to enter the home, police say the suspect ignited a fire and then shot at the troopers, who fired back.

The officers were taken to a trauma center in Baltimore with leg wounds and later released from the hospital. The suspect was pronounced dead at a nearby medical center.


12:12 p.m.

A man has been shot dead and two state troopers have been wounded following a standoff in Maryland.

The Cumberland Times-News reported Friday the standoff began late Thursday at a home in Little Orleans, Allegany County, which is near the Pennsylvania border.

The troopers were flown about 120 miles (193 kilometers) to Baltimore to be treated for leg wounds at a trauma center. Maryland State Police said the troopers were conscious and alert.

Maryland State Police identified the suspect as 52--year-old William Charles Mackenzie.

Police said the incident began with an argument between Mackenzie and his wife. He allegedly pulled out a handgun, telling her "this ends today."

A struggle ensued. Husband and wife fell to the ground and the gun went off. She escaped, running to a neighbor's house and calling the police.

The police response was large, with tactical units of camoflauged and well-armed troopers surrounding the home. The troopers tried to communicate with Mackenzie using a loudspeaker from an armored vehicle, but they said he refused to surrender.

Tactical assault team officers finally entered the residence Friday morning. State police said Mackenzie fired at the troopers, hitting their "lower extremities" before they returned fire, killing him.

As the troopers entered, a fire had started inside the home. Police said they believe Mackenzie started the blaze, which fire personnel extinguished.


Information from: Cumberland (Md.) Times-News,