The Latest: City says buyout best way past Castile tragedy
MINNEAPOLIS – The Latest on Minnesota police officer Jeronimo Yanez, who was acquitted last month in the 2016 shooting of black motorist Philando Castile, reaching a separation agreement to leave his police department (all times local):
A Minnesota city says it reached a voluntary separation agreement with police officer Jeronimo Yanez because it was "the most thoughtful way" to get past the tragedy of the fatal shooting of black motorist Philando Castile.
The city of St. Anthony on Monday announced the separation with Yanez, who was acquitted of manslaughter last month in Castile's death. Yanez, who is Latino, shot Castile several times during a July 2016 traffic stop, seconds after Castile informed him he was carrying a gun.
Castile had a permit for the weapon. Yanez testified in his defense that Castile ignored his commands not to pull out the gun and he feared for his life.
The city says because Yanez wasn't convicted of a crime, he would have had appeal and grievance rights if he'd been fired.
Terms of the deal weren't released.
The Minnesota police officer acquitted in last year's fatal shooting of black motorist Philando Castile has left the police department where he served.
The Minneapolis suburb of St. Anthony says Jeronimo Yanez has reached a "separation agreement" and is no longer a police officer. The terms weren't released.
The 32-year-old Castile was shot by Yanez during a traffic stop last summer after Castile informed the officer he was armed. Castile had a permit for his gun. The shooting gained widespread attention after Castile's girlfriend livestreamed its aftermath on Facebook.
Yanez, who is Latino, was acquitted of manslaughter in June. On the day of the verdict, the city announced the "public will be best served" if Yanez were no longer an officer. The city said it was offering Yanez a buyout.