FORT EDWARD, N.Y. – Authorities say the wrong fuse sparked a fire in June that tore through an old wood-frame house in upstate New York and killed six children.
William Cook, the Washington County director of public safety, says an outlet on the first floor that should have been protected by a 15-amp fuse instead had a 30-amp fuse, allowing the wire that fed the outlet to catch fire. A smaller fuse would have cut power before the wire overheated.
An air conditioner was plugged into the outlet. A surviving adult says it was off when the fire broke out early on June 26.
Cook says no criminal charges will be filed, calling the fire "a horrific accident."
Six children, ages 1 to 12, died in the blaze. Three adults and another child escaped the house about 45 miles north of Albany.