Machine guns, silencers displayed in Bulger trial

Dozens of semi-automatic and automatic guns investigators say belonged to James "Whitey" Bulger and his associates were displayed during the second day of testimony Thursday, reported.

Day two in the Bulger trial began with two retired Massachusetts State Police officials who investigated the reputed mob boss during the 1980s.

Retired Mass. State Police Detective Bob Long, the first government witness called in the trial, continued his testimony after closing out the first day.

Long continued to watch videos from his surveillance operations at a Lancaster Street garage and a bank of phone booths off the southeast expressway in the spring of 1980.

During testimony, Long said he witnessed Arthur "Bucky" Barrett at the Lancaster Street garage after the Depositor's Trust robbery along with Bulger and Flemmi.

Barrett, who had a reputation as an expert safecracker, was said to be involved in the robbery.

Investigators allege Bulger and Flemmi tortured Barrett inside a South Boston home before killing and burying him in the cellar.

They reportedly wanted a cut of Barrett's money from the bank robbery. A former Bulger associate claims Barrett's body was moved to a Dorchester grave site when the house was to be sold, reported.

Long also watched video of the phone booths where investigators conducted surveillance in the spring of 1980.

Video showed both Bulger and Flemmi at the phones. As long pointed out during cross-examination, he received approval for wiretapping in the case, but the wiretap was compromised "within days" at the Lancaster Street garage.

A sidebar was taken during cross-examination when Bulger's attorney, J.W. Carney, asked Long if he interacted with former U.S. Attorney Jeremiah O'Sullivan during his request for a wiretap. The prosecution objected, which prompted the sidebar.

Bulger claims O'Sullivan gave him immunity for his crimes. The immunity defense was thrown out by Judge Denise Casper prior to the trial.

Retired Mass. State Police Colonel Thomas Foley was the second witness called by the government. The government focused predominantly on Foley's time with the Special Services division from 1984 to 1989.

Foley explained that he was charged with investigated spinoff cases that came from the FBI wiretap of the Angiulo family. He was responsible for probing other cases of interest that came up during the wiretap.

The retired colonel said he also investigated the "fill-in" leadership of the Angiulo family, which resulted in their arrest. When they were arrested, Foley says there was a vacuum of power and two crime organizations: La Cosa Nostra and the Winter Hill Gang. He added that they made money from extortion, bookmaking, loan sharking, drugs, and murder.

Foley said investigators took aim at the bookmakers, hoping that they would lead them to the higher ups. One of the bookies Foley investigated was part of the 1993 indictment of Bulger, John Martorano, Steve Flemmi, and Frank Salemme.

The retired police official went on to discuss how John Martorano and Kevin Weeks began cooperating. He said Martorano's cooperation gave investigators the ability to charge others in several murders.

Foley also went over images of guns and weapons recovered from four locations in South Boston, Somerville, and Florida.

Click for more from