A dispatcher for the Albuquerque Fire Department has resigned after a transcript from a 911 call showed him hanging up on a caller who was giving first aid to a 17-year-old shooting victim who later died.

Matthew Sanchez was originally reassigned out of the dispatch center and was performing administrative duties pending a probe of the June 26 incident in which he told the desperate caller, "I'm not going to deal with this, okay?" The teen, Jaydon Chavez-Silver, was shot while sitting on a kitchen counter inside an Albuquerque house in a drive-by attack carried out by unknown assailants.

The Albuquerque Fire Department announced Sanchez's resignation in a statement released late Tuesday, according to The Albuquerque Journal. Sanchez was "reassigned immediately" after fire officials learned what happened, said Melissa Romero, spokeswoman for the Albuquerque Fire Department.

"Okay, do you know what ma'am? You can deal with yourself. I'm not going to deal with this, okay?"

— Albuquerque emergency dispatcher

Romero said Sanchez is a 10-year veteran of the department.

After Chavez-Silver was shot, an unidentified woman began performing CPR on him while Sanchez was on the phone. The transcript of the 911 call captured the plaintive caller's urgency and frustration, as well as the shocking response of Sanchez.

Caller: (inaudible) I'm keeping him alive.

Sanchez:  Is he not breathing?

Caller: Barely.  (inaudible) Stay with me. Stay with me, okay? Good job, Jaydon.

Sanchez: Is he breathing?

Caller: He's barely breathing. How many times do I have to f---ing tell you?

Sanchez: Okay, do you know what ma'am? You can deal with it yourself. I'm not going to deal with this, okay?

Caller: No, he's going to die.

The call ends there.

Albuquerque Fire Chief David Downey released the following statement:

“After learning of the alleged misconduct, Matthew Sanchez was immediately removed from the dispatch center and placed on administrative assignment," said Albuquerque Fire Chief David Downey in a statement. "An internal investigation has been initiated. As the chief of the department, I am taking the allegation very seriously.”

Nicole Chavez, mother of the murdered teen, told local media she had heard about what Sanchez said and was shocked when she actually heard the recording.

"After hearing the call [Monday], it is heartbreaking to listen to," Chavez said. "Right now, we just want to find the people responsible for this violent, deadly crime."