For those looking for very-low-priced sets, Sears will offer two RCA-brand LCD TVs—a 32-inch RCA 720p LCD TV (LED32C33RO) for $180, and the 42-inch RCA 1080p LED LCD TV for (LED42C45RO) for just $300.
Unlike its competitors, Sears opens its doors at 8:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving, two hours later than Best Buy, Target, and Walmart, but it similarly will offer a number of door buster specials that will be available in limited quantities per store, with no rainchecks for sold-out merchandise.
The deals aren't just limited to the two secondary brands; Sears has a lot of Samsung sets in its Black Friday mix. These include:
- a 32-inch Samsung LED LCD TV (UN32EH4003) for $230
- a 40-inch Samsung 1080p LED LCD TV (UN40EH5000) for $380
- a 46-inch Samsung 1080p LED LCD TV (UN46EH5000) for $480
- a 55-inch Samsung 120Hz 1080p LED LCD TV (UN55FH6003) for $700
- a 60-inch Samsung 120Hz 1080p LED LCD TV (UN60FH6003) for $900
There's also a 60-inch 1080p Sharp LED LCD TV (LC60LE452U) for $800.
Find the right television for your needs and budget with our TV buying guide and Ratings.
Among the other electronics items listed are a Kindle Fire HD for $140, an 8-inch Zeki Android tablet for $80, and a Dell 15.6-inch Inspiron Celeron-based notebook computer for $300. There are also in-ear headphones from JLab, offered in assorted colors, for just $2 per set, and a Samsung Blu-ray player (BD-F5100) for $58.
Those willing to wait an extra day can get in on the true Black Friday specials, which include a 39-inch Westinghouse 120Hz 1080p LED LCD TV for $250 as a budget draw. The rest of the TV deals are primarily on two major brands: Sharp and Samsung.
Among the listed Black Friday deals on Sharp sets:
- a 32-inch Sharp 1080p LED LCD TV (32LN5310) for $270
- a 50-inch 120Hz 1080p Sharp LED LCD smart TV (LC50LE650U) for $750
- a 60-inch 120Hz 1080p Sharp LED LCD smart TV (LC60LE650U) for $1,000
- a 70-inch 120Hz 1080p Sharp LED LCD smart TV (LC70LE650U) for $1,000
- an 80-inch 120Hz 1080p Sharp LED LCD smart TV (LC80LE650U) for $3,000
The ad says they're available in limited quantities, but that prices are good through Dec. 3 if they don't sell out.
For those who prefer Samsung sets, you'll be able to choose from a number of LCD TVs, but Sears will also have a deal on one of the few plasma sets we've seen as part of a Black Friday special: Samsung’s 51-inch 720p PN51F4500, which will be priced at $430, about $70 less than usual. The listed Samsung LCD sets include:
- a 32-inch 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN32EH5300) for $300
- a 40-inch 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN40EH5300) for $400
- a 46-inch 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN46EH5300) for $500
- a 55-inch 1080p Samsung 240Hz 3D-capable smart LED LCD TV (UN55F7100) for $1,300
- a 60-inch 1080p Samsung 240Hz 3D-capable smart LED LCD TV (UN60F7100) for $1,600
We didn't check all the sets, but the 60-inch model is about $300 less expensive than its current price at several retailers, while the 46-inch set is anywhere from $150 to $200 less expensive, although Amazon has it for $580.
Among the other electronic items listed are a number of tablets, including a 10.1-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab3 16GB tablet for $300, an 8-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab3 16GB tablet for $250, or a 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab3 8GB tablet for $160. If brand isn't important, there's also a 9.7-inch Mach Speed Android tablet for $130. If you need a set of headphones or earphones to use with a tablet, Sears has JVC Riptidz in- and on-ear models for $5 to $15.
Sears will also have a number of deals that kick off on Thanksgiving and run through the entire four-day holiday weekend. Among the specials are the first Ultra HD TVs we've seen, all from Seiki. Sears has the 39-inch model for $500, the 50-inch set—which we reviewed fairly unfavorably—for $750, and the 55-inch model for $850. These are all among the least-expensive Ultra HD TVs we've seen. The 50-inch set was $1,400 when we tested it, though it's been selling for $1,000 or less more recently.
The other sets available throughout the weeks are primarily from LG and Samsung. Those looking for smaller to midsized screen sizes can consider:
- a 32-inch 720p LG (32LN520B) LED LCD TV for $220
- a 32-inch 1080p Samsung LED LCD TV (UN32EH5000) for $300
- a 39-inch 1080p Samsung LED LCD TV (UN39EH5000) for $300
- a 46-inch 120Hz 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN46F6300) for $650
- a 47-inch 1080p LG (47LN5200) LED LCD TV for $470
For those in the market for a bigger set, Sears will offer:
- a 55-inch 1080p LG (55LN5200) LED LCD TV for $680
- a 55-inch 120Hz 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN55F6300) for $900
- a 60-inch 120Hz 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN60F6300) for $1,200
- a 75-inch 120Hz 1080p Samsung smart LED LCD TV (UN75F6300) for $2,500
But we checked the current prices on a number of these sets and found only marginal savings at Sears during the weekend. Our advice is that you check prices with several online retailers if you're looking for a non-door buster TV over the weekend. Often prices on these regular sets will drop even further in December, so it might pay to wait.
We'll be compiling a list of the best deals we've seen so far over the next several days, so keep checking back for our top Black Friday TV deals.
—James K. Willcox
Copyright © 2005-2013 Consumers Union of U.S., Inc. No reproduction, in whole or in part, without written permission. Consumer Reports has no relationship with any advertisers on this site.