'Hoverboard' catches fire, ruins home while charging
Marty McFly would not approve of this item.
Lafitte, LA resident Jessica Horne and her 12-year-old son were in for a surprise last week when his ‘hoverboard’ caught fire just one day after he received it.
The boards, which are actually two-wheeled self-balancing scooters, are expected to be one of this holiday season’s hottest toys. They currently retail anywhere from $300-$900 and allow users to steer them using their feet. Horne reportedly purchased the board, which contained a rechargeable lithium battery, from Fit Turbo on Amazon.
The trouble started when the scooter was plugged in to charge up. Or more, the sparks started to fly.
Related: 'Hoverboard' 'craze' hits Fox News
“Before I could yell the house is on fire, the middle part of the board that would go between your feet just-poof-went into flames,” said Horne, who also said the sparks looked “like a firework.”
The Consumer Product Safety Commission told WGNO that over the past three months, eight injuries have been reported that involve the scooters. However, the incidents involved falls rather than fires.