Woman Convicted of Poisoning Husband, Harming Daughter

An upstate New York woman was convicted Thursday of murdering her husband by poisoning him with antifreeze and then trying to kill and frame her daughter for the death.

An Onondaga County jury found Stacey Castor, 41, guilty of second-degree murder in the poisoning death of her husband, David, in August 2005. She was also found guilty of attempted second-degree murder for trying to kill daughter Ashley Wallace, then 20, with an overdose of drugs and vodka in September 2007.

"If there is a ceiling in terms of evil, she (Castor) is at the ceiling," District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said.

"Justice was served," said David Castor Jr., the husband's son by a previous marriage.

Defense attorney Charles Keller said he would appeal the verdict, adding that his client was "disappointed, and that's probably the least of it."

In September 2007, Castor was accused of murdering her second husband, David Castor, after Cayuga County investigators exhumed the body of Michael Wallace, her first husband and the father of her two children.

Prosecutors said Castor used a kitchen baster to give the antifreeze to David Castor over a four-day period, and then staged the scene to make it appear a suicide.

The death of Wallace's first husband had been ruled a heart attack, but after the exhumation, authorities also ruled the death a homicide caused by ingesting ethylene glycol, a toxic chemical found in antifreeze.

Castor has not been charged in Wallace's death, but prosecutors used evidence surrounding it to build their case against her. Keller said he would challenge the judge's decision to allow the evidence about Wallace's death.

Fitzpatrick said Castor wrote a bogus suicide note for her daughter and wanted authorities to think the young woman killed herself after confessing to killing her stepfather. Castor was accused of drugging her daughter with sleeping pills and using a teaspoon to feed her vodka and a mix of prescription pills over a 17-hour period.

Wallace survived and testified against her mother. She left the courthouse sobbing but did not comment.

Castor faces 25 years to life in prison for the murder and another 25 years for the attempt on her daughter's life. Sentencing was set for March 5.