Tennessee Mother Regains Custody of Snatched Newborn, Cleared of Baby-Selling Claims

The Tennessee mother of a kidnapped baby was reunited with her four kids and is cleared of involvement in an alleged baby-selling plan, a lawyer for the children said Tuesday.

Attorney Thomas Miller said a Tuesday custody hearing was canceled amid an investigation into the claims that the family of mom Maria Gurrolla tried to sell the baby boy after he was abducted by a fake immigration agent.

Gurrolla was reunited with 1-week-old Yair Anthony Carillo Tuesday after losing him twice in recent days, first to the alleged kidnapper and then to state foster care.

The baby was recovered last week after he was abducted during a Sept. 29 knife attack at Gurrolla's home. A suspect is in custody.

PHOTOS: Tennessee Baby Snatched

Infant Yair is no longer in state custody and authorities do not believe Gurrolla and the baby's father Jose Carillo were involved in the abduction, the Department of Children's Services and Nashville police said Tuesday

Miller told The Associated Press that police informed child welfare officials Tuesday they had "cleared the parents of any wrongdoing."

"The kids will be returned as soon as logistically possible," Miller said.

Gurrolla and Carillo could not immediately be located for comment.

The baby was found Friday, three days after he was abducted during the knife attack. Gurrolla was briefly reunited with the infant Saturday before Children's Services put him and his siblings, ages 3, 9 and 11, in foster care for their safety. Department officials have declined to be more specific, citing privacy concerns for the family.

Tammy Renee Silas, 39, of Ardmore, Ala., was charged with kidnapping after authorities said they found the baby unharmed at her home about 80 miles south of Nashville.

Silas has not been charged in the attack on Gurrolla, who was stabbed several times and had a collapsed lung.

The police statement says "significant unanswered questions remain" in the case, including why Gurrolla and her infant were targeted.

Gurrolla told investigators that after she was stabbed, the attacker made a phone call and said in Spanish "The job is done" and the mother "was dying," according to court documents.

Silas, who remained in custody Tuesday, waived an initial hearing and has not yet appeared in court. She has given a statement to investigators, according to Tennessee Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Kristin Helm, who declined to detail what she said.

Gurrolla told investigators she had never seen the woman who stabbed her. According to the arrest warrant, Gurrolla was targeted while she and a cousin, identified only as "JS," were running errands and visiting a state food assistance office.

A car that police said Silas rented was seen on a surveillance video following Gurrolla before the attack, and the car rental information led police to her home.

Police have not released a motive, but Silas' live-in boyfriend, Martin Rodriguez, told The Associated Press that she said she could not have children and wanted to adopt a child from a relative in Texas who was going to jail.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.