DETROIT – A student threw a homemade explosive device in the hallway of a school on Wednesday, causing it to leak fumes and forcing the school's evacuation but not injuring anyone, authorities said.
The student from the Phoenix Multi-Cultural Academy was taken into police custody for questioning, Detroit Police spokesman John Roach said.
The school district released a statement saying the device consisted of a plastic bottle that contained household cleaning supplies. It said the device released smoke after it was thrown.
Roach said the device released "powerful fumes" and likely some liquid, and that the bomb squad recovered its remains.
The pre-kindergarten-through-8th grade school with 540 students was evacuated and students were transferred to the nearby Roberto Clemente Learning Academy.
Detroit Public Schools' spokeswoman Jennifer Mrozowski said the district would not be identifying the student taken into custody.
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and Robert Bobb, the district's emergency financial manager, met before the start of the current school year with security experts, community leaders, parents and students to discuss safety and security in and around schools. Several shootings last year and 2008 raised safety concerns.