Missing Texas Soldier Found and Arrested After Possible Kidnap Ruse

There is no sign that a missing Texas soldier now in police custody was ever kidnapped for ransom as his family claimed, the Army said Thursday.

Pfc. James Gonzalez, 24, was arrested Wednesday night after being found unharmed, said U.S. Army Criminal Investigations Command spokesman Christopher Grey.

There are no indications that Gonzalez was abducted, Grey said in an e-mail sent to The Associated Press. Law enforcement officials in Laredo were interviewing Gonzalez Thursday, and Grey said he'd be turned over to the Army's custody later that day.

There were conflicting reports about the circumstances surrounding the soldier's arrest.

Grey said it was during a traffic stop. Local law enforcement sources say it was at a house in Laredo, Texas, they'd been conducting surveillance on during the investigation.

Police also have been tracking Gonzalez in his BMW, a source who is not authorized to speak publicly about the case told FOX News.

He is facing new charges of being absent without leave, the source said Thursday.

He already was embroiled in an assault case brought against him by his girlfriend. He missed a July 10 court date.

• LIVESHOTS BLOG: Texas Soldier's Mysterious Disappearance

Gonzalez had told his family he was going on a short trip to Laredo to visit friends, a town along the Mexican border he frequented.

The GI was last seen at his mother's house July 11. The Army contacted relatives July 13, the day he was to return to the base, to say the private had not shown up for duty, according to his older brother.

J.C. Gonzalez made the media rounds earlier this week, saying authorities told the family his brother was being held by his captors for $100,000 ransom.

A source who says he knows Gonzalez said Wednesday that the GI is "disturbed," had recently been bragging about a promotion to lieutenant and to major, was spotted driving a new Mercedes and boasted he'd bought a big house in Laredo.

FBI agents investigating the case couldn't immediately be reached for comment Thursday morning.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.