MOBILE, Ala. – A gunman opened fire on a vehicle in a busy McDonald's drive-thru, killing two men, wounding a third and sparking a gunbattle that left bullet marks on a nearby church day-care center, authorities said.
More than a dozen people, including several children, were inside the restaurant when the shooting began about 4:40 p.m. Wednesday. No one in the restaurant or at the day care center was injured, Mobile Police spokesman Officer Eric Gallichant said.
The wounded victim, 20-year-old Jonathan Taylor, was shot in the abdomen and drove himself to the University of South Alabama Medical Center, Gallichant said.
"What you have here is an absolute disregard for life," Acting Police Chief Lester Hargrove said. "There are kids here, old people, adults. There is absolutely no regard for human life."
Mobile County District Attorney John Tyson Jr. said the shots were fired into the back of the vehicle when it rolled up to the restaurant window to pay. The attacker fled in a waiting vehicle.
No arrests had been made Thursday morning.
Gallichant identified the victims as Demarcus Jones, 22, and Michael Tunstall, 19.