Homes Evacuated After Fire at Store With Poisonous Reptiles

Some British residents were evacuated from their homes early Tuesday morning after officials feared a pet store fire would put venomous scorpions and snakes on the loose, the Guardian reported.

Firefighters feared the reptiles would slither out of the Reptile Land pet store in Hull, England and cause danger in the nearby neighborhood.

Those evacuated were taken to a soccer stadium while firefighters battled the fire, which was believed to have been caused by an electrical issue, the Guardian reported.

The store's owner told the newspaper all the reptiles were accounted for, and believed 10 snakes, two tortoises, four iguanas and an unknown number of scorpions died during the blaze.

Click here to read more on this story from the Guardian.