Dave Chappelle Doesn't Regret Leaving Show, Might Miss Money
WILBERFORCE, Ohio – Dave Chappelle doesn't regret his decision to walk away from a $50 million deal to continue his hit Comedy Central television show. However, he might miss the money.
Halting his "Chappelle's Show" last year was "one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life," the 33-year-old comedian said Tuesday while addressing the opening convocation at Central State University.
"Now, economically it makes no sense at all," he added.
His sudden "spiritual retreat" to South Africa on the eve of his show's third season left the series in limbo. He has since returned to performing standup and released the concert documentary "Dave Chappelle's Block Party."
Chappelle, who lives near the southwest Ohio village of Yellow Springs, encouraged students not to compromise their values.
"It's good to have a vision for your life, but your moral conduct and your moral code should be priceless," he said. "You should just have some values that you just hold, that you won't sell at any price."
Central State's marching band played before Chappelle's hour-plus talk. The band was featured in the "Block Party" documentary.