Brett Favre posted a short statement on his website on Friday night confirming he had arthroscopic ankle surgery, possibly clearing the way for the quarterback to return to the Minnesota Vikings next season.
Favre's future has been up in the air since the Vikings lost to New Orleans in the NFC championship game. He had said he would need ankle surgery if he wanted to play in 2010, but there was no word Friday about his playing career.
"This is to confirm that I did have a procedure to remove some scar tissue and bone spurs from my ankle which had been bothering me for a period of time," Favre said on his website. "I appreciate your concerns."
ESPN.com reported Dr. James Andrews operated on Favre's left ankle at the Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze, Fla., on Friday morning.
Favre, who turns 41 in October, is coming off one of the best seasons of his storied career, throwing for 33 touchdowns and only seven interceptions while guiding the Vikings to a 12-4 record. He is under contract for $13 million next season if he plays.
The surgery came one day after Favre visited the Southern Mississippi baseball team in Hattiesburg, Miss., and told the Golden Eagles he would return for one more season in the NFL if they made it to the College World Series for the second consecutive year.