CANTON, Ohio (AP) -- The family of the late Junior Seau will not disrupt the NFL Hall of Fame ceremonies on Aug. 8 despite its disagreement with a policy preventing live remarks during a posthumous induction.
Steve Strauss, legal counsel to the Seaus and partner at Cooley LLP, said in an email late Monday that the family "does not want this issue to become a distraction to Junior's accomplishments and legacy or those of the other inductees."
Seau, who took his own life in 2012, will be saluted with a video presentation in which his daughter, Sydney, will speak. But Hall policy since 2010 does not allow for live speeches during a posthumous induction.
Sydney Seau admitted last week she was upset with not being allowed to give a speech.
"The Seau family appreciates the overwhelming support for Sydney Seau to be able to accept Junior's induction into the Hall of Fame live and in her own words," Strauss said.
"Unfortunately, the Hall of Fame is unwilling to reverse its decision despite communicating to the family earlier this year that Sydney would be able to speak at the ceremony. Contrary to the most recent statement by the Hall of Fame, the family does not support the current policy that prevents family members from delivering live remarks on behalf of deceased inductees.
"The Seau family never intended to use the Hall of Fame as a platform to discuss the serious mental health issues facing the NFL today, which are most appropriately addressed in a legal forum. The Seau family looks forward to celebrating Junior's extraordinary accomplishments at the Hall of Fame."
Hall representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In lieu of comments from the podium, the Hall allows a longer presenting video for players inducted posthumously than videos of living inductees, such as in 2011 for former Los Angeles Rams star Les Richter.