Nadal says he's 100 percent fit for new season

DOHA (Reuters) - World number two Rafael Nadal said he was fully fit for the new season after cruising past Italian Simone Bolelli 6-3 6-3 to reach the last 16 of the Qatar Open on Tuesday.

Top seed and world number one Roger Federer dismissed Belgian Christophe Rochus 6-1 6-2 and third seed Nikolay Davydenko routed Mikhail Kukushkin of Kazakhstan 6-2 6-0.

Spaniard Nadal, who won an Abu Dhabi exhibition tournament last weekend, was plagued by knee and stomach injuries during 2009 although he helped his country to a crushing victory over Czech Republic in last month's Davis Cup final.

"My only ambition is to play better. Ranking-wise, number one or number two doesn't matter. Fitness-wise, I'm 100 percent now and I'm hitting the ball harder," said Nadal. "I'm also happy that I officially started the season on a winning note. I hope to sustain the momentum."

Federer slammed 12 aces past Rochus and wrapped up victory in under an hour.

"I didn't want to play a cat-and-mouse game, so I finished off the match quickly. I had great fun," said Federer. "I'm looking forward to a great year."

Federer next faces Russian Evgeny Korolev while Nadal takes on Potito Starace of Italy.