Manchester City maintained its unbeaten 1 draw with Liverpool.

Vincent Kompany scored from a corner kick just after the half-hour mark for City, but an own goal from Joleon Lescott a few minutes later leveled the contest.

City's Mario Balotelli was sent off in the 83rd minute, and Liverpool had a number of chances to snatch the win in the final minutes, only to be denied by some good goalkeeping from Joe Hart.

The result sees City go five points clear of Manchester United at the top of the league, while Liverpool is now unbeaten in its last eight games and sits in sixth place.

David Silva's corner kick set up the first goal as he drove the ball to the near post for Kompany, who redirected it inside the far post with his shoulder.

But the advantage lasted less than two minutes as a slice of luck helped the home side draw level.

A long-range effort from Charlie Adam struck the outstretched leg of Lescott, sending the ball past a wrong-footed Hart and leaving the 'keeper with no chance.

Hart produced a nice save with his legs to deny Adam a goal shortly before halftime, while he was busy over the final five minutes after Balotelli was sent off for a poor challenge on Martin Skrtel.

Luis Suarez tested Hart after a one-two with Jordan Henderson, while substitute Andy Carroll saw his header kept out by a diving stop before Hart kept out the rebound attempt from Suarez.

Swansea City 0, Aston Villa 0

Swansea, Wales - Swansea City and Aston Villa played to a 0-0 draw at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday in a match that was overshadowed by the death of Wales manager Gary Speed.

Speed's death was confirmed only about an hour before the start of the match, and both teams were sloppy during a first half that saw few clear-cut chances.

Villa's Stephen Warnock went close after being set up by Gabriel Agbonlahor, while Darren Bent also shot over the crossbar from a good position.

One of the few chances for Swansea arrived in the second half when Mark Gower fed a pass to Leroy Lita, who turned his defender but shot just wide of the post.

The final opportunity for either side came five minutes from time as Villa's Chris Herd headed wide of the net from six yards.