Whistleblower who gave info on Clinton blasts FBI over mystery raid: ‘Secret police state?’

A former FBI contractor-turned-whistleblower who supplied documents related to former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the Uranium One controversy is blasting the FBI over a mysterious raid on his home last month.

Questioning whether “we now live in a secret police state,” Dennis Nathan Cain took his frustration to Twitter on the heels of a report that the Justice Department is trying to keep the justification for the raid secret.

“So I blow the whistle on the FBI, get raided by the same FBI, and now they want to keep the FBI’s reasons secret? Do we now live in a secret police state? Feels a little like 1984,” Cain tweeted late Monday, citing The Daily Caller report.

The Daily Caller requested that the court unseal the search warrant materials, but the U.S. Attorney in the District of Maryland, in a court filing, said: “the request should be denied.”

“Public disclosure of any search warrant materials would seriously jeopardize the integrity of the ongoing investigation,” the court filing by the U.S. Attorney’s Office said. “Continued sealing is essential in order to guard against possible tampering of witnesses and destruction of evidence, to maintain the ability of the grand jury to investigate this matter, and to prevent the disclosure of sensitive investigative techniques and methods.”

A spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney in the District of Maryland declined to comment.

Sixteen FBI agents raided Cain’s home on Nov. 19. His lawyer, Michael Socarras, told The Daily Caller that the agent who led the raid accused his client of possessing stolen federal property. In response, Cain reportedly claimed that he was a protected whistleblower under federal law, and said he was recognized as such by Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz.

Socarras also claimed that Horowitz had transmitted information on the sale of Canadian mining company Uranium One to a Russian firm’s subsidiary to both the House and Senate intelligence committees.

The documents in question allegedly show that federal officials failed to investigate possible criminal activity related to Clinton, the Clinton Foundation and Rosatom, the Russian nuclear company whose subsidiary purchased Uranium One in 2013.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, whose panel has oversight of the Justice Department, also penned a letter to FBI Director Christopher Wray and Horowitz, requesting information on the justification for the raid of Cain’s home.

Grassley gave Wray and Horowitz until Dec. 12 to respond to his request.

An FBI spokesperson and a spokesperson for the inspector general declined to comment.

“As frustrating and violating as this feels to me and my family. I will continue to put my trust in God. Some day this life will pass away. I will stand before my maker with a clean concience[sic] and Jesus as my defender. Until then I continue to fight the good fight with God’s help,” Cain tweeted Monday night.

On Tuesday, he added: “Thank you for the outpouring of encouragement. You all are awesome. A boxer goes into his corner to rest for a minute, refocus, and get some sideline coaching. Then the bell rings and he’s ready to go another round. This fight is spiritual and God is in our corner. Ding! Rom 8:31.”

Fox News has previously reported that Douglas Campbell, an FBI informant involved in the Uranium One deal, has testified to lawmakers that Moscow paid millions to American lobbying firm APCO Worldwide to influence Clinton and the Obama administration.

“The contract called for four payments of $750,000 over 12 months,” Campbell said in his statement this past February. “APCO was expected to give assistance free of charge to the Clinton Global Initiative as part of their effort to create a favorable environment to ensure the Obama administration made affirmative decisions on everything from Uranium One to the US-Russia Civilian Nuclear Cooperation agreement.”

APCO has denied Campbell's claims while Clinton called any claims of wrongdoing related to the Uranium One deal "the same baloney they’ve been peddling for years, and there’s been no credible evidence by anyone.

"In fact," Clinton told C-SPAN in October of 2017, "it’s been debunked repeatedly and will continue to be debunked.”

Fox News' Samuel Chamberlain contributed to this report.