Editor's note: Americans for Tax Reform president Grover Norquist sent the following letter today to Warren Buffett.

Dear Warren:

I have solved your problem.

You have mentioned in passing that you feel unhappy that you do not pay enough money to the government each year in taxes.
As it turns out, you don’t need to wait for President Obama to sign legislation raising taxes on you. You can open up your checkbook right now, write a check payable to the United States Treasury, and drop it in the nearest mailbox (or just hand it to your “secretary”). Problem solved.

Here are the details below, taken directly from the U.S. Department of the Treasury website:

How do I make a contribution to the U.S. government?
Citizens who wish to make a general donation to the U.S. government may send contributions to a specific account called "Gifts to the United States." This account was established in 1843 to accept gifts, such as bequests, from individuals wishing to express their patriotism to the United States. Money deposited into this account is for general use by the federal government and can be available for budget needs. These contributions are considered an unconditional gift to the government. Financial gifts can be made by check or money order payable to the United States Treasury and mailed to the address below.
Gifts to the United States
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Credit Accounting Branch
3700 East-West Highway, Room 622D
Hyattsville, MD 20782

Once you’ve sent the check, I would be glad to help spread the word. The many others who believe the government can spend their money better than they can will be inspired by your example.

As a convenience to you, I’ve enclosed an envelope pre-addressed to the U.S. Treasury. You’ll have to take care of the stamp yourself, however.

Grover G. Norquist

Grover G. Norquist is president of Americans for Tax Reform, a non-partisan coalition of taxpayers and taxpayer groups who oppose all tax increases.