Tragedy struck a family in Alaska last week from an unlikely source: their refrigerator.
The propane-powered appliance at their cabin near Big Lake started leaking carbon monoxide, causing the death of a 10-year-old boy and sickening other family members, the Alaska Dispatch News reported.
When Sarah Kleb’s daughter Caroline complained of a headache last Saturday, followed by her son, Gavin, vomiting, she assumed the family had caught the flu.
Instead, carbon monoxide -- an odorless gas -- had leaked into the cabin from the refrigerator, investigators later determined.
Sarah and Caroline recovered, but Gavin died.
The cabin did not have a carbon monoxide detector installed.