The family of Natalie Rawnsley has filed a lawsuit after the 37-year-old mother-of-two from England died from eating uncooked chicken served by a hotel in Greece in August 2017.
Rawnsley allegedly chose a piece of chicken from the Corfu hotel restaurant’s buffet, People reported.
“Natalie started to eat hers and as she cut the chicken, the chicken oozed red blood to which I commented it looked bloody,” her husband, Steward, said in court, according to the Hertfordshire Mercury. “She got up, took it back, replaced the chicken with a different piece, and came back and ate it.”
According to her grieving husband's testimony, the horror began at around 3 a.m. when Rawnsley became violently ill.
A doctor who came to the hotel allegedly diagnosed Rawnsley with gastroenteritis, an intestinal infection marked by diarrhea, cramps, nausea, vomiting, and fever, and told her husband and children to avoid contact.
But when her condition continued to worsen, Steward Rawnsley said he sought medical advice from another doctor.
“The second doctor said because she had been sick for so long she needed additional medical help, so she was going to the medical center a number of kilometers away from the hotel,” her husband told the court, according to the Hertfordshire Mercury.
Doctors allegedly wanted to airlift the woman to a hospital on Greece’s mainland, but her condition was too unstable.
“There was pain in her legs and she also had a number of red blotches all over her,” her husband said.
The family reportedly received a text message informing them that she had died at a hospital in Corfu.
Professor Sebastein Lucas, an infections expect, testified that some people are genetically predisposed to have bad reactions to food poisoning, which can escalate into disseminated intravascular coagulation, which affects the body’s ability to clot blood and stop bleeding.
The assistant coroner agreed that Natalie had contracted E. coli from uncooked chicken.