The state medical examiner's office says complications from a snake bite killed a Chesterfield County man who was found dead in his home.
The office didn't provide details but said the death of 70-year-old Jack Redmond was an accident.
Media outlets say the office released its findings Thursday.
Redmond's wife called police Monday and said she found her husband dead in a room of their home where he kept various snakes and lizards.
Authorities removed 24 venomous snakes from the home the next day. Two private collectors agreed on Wednesday to either care for the venomous snakes or find facilities where they could be placed.
A Chesterfield County ordinance bans ownership of venomous snakes.