An 86-year-old man says his leg now resembles a "drumstick" after suffering third-degree burns when he spilled a vat of hot oil while cooking Thanksgiving turkeys in Mount Prospect, Ill., The Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Serafino Alfe said he had been cooking 25 turkeys for an event at his local country club, just north of Chicago, on Saturday when he tripped on a piece of cardboard and splashed 7.5 gallons (28.4 liters) of scalding oil on his leg.

Along with third-degree burns, Alfe was also required to have a skin graft, but still managed to joke about the incident afterward.

"I haven't tasted it yet -- I'm not sure I want to," he said, referring to his deep-fried leg.

Hospital officials who treated Alfe used the accident to remind people to take care when cooking their Thanksgiving birds.

Click here to read more on this story.